Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Readers….Need your input on a New Die cutting Machine







I have been doing some research on getting a die cutting machine for my new passion of card making. I would love to hear your thought on your favorite machine. I have had my eye on a Sizzix Big Shot for some time now and also been looking at the Spellbinder's Platinum 6 as well. Scrapbook.com has a really good deal on both of them right now until the end of the month. So I went digging into "Spellbinders vs. Sizzix Big shot".  I have decided to share my finding with you but would really like your opinions before making my decision. Thank you now, for your help. 



So here is my review with the research on both the Spellbinders and Big Shot. I prefer watching videos over reading endless reviews. Seeing the machine in action especially when I personally have never used one, is my choice of means of review a new product. So I went to you tube, entered in the search bar, "Spellbinders vs. Sizzix Big shot" and watch about 10 to 15 different videos. There wasn't as many as I thought there would be but I watched many, some favor one or the other.



Here is my conclusion/opinion:



Over all they are very compatible machines, so I guess it would be purchaser's brand choice, and or the deal you find on either machines as a bigger factor, what the costs are and what you get with it. I didn't look into the cost or replace cutting plates for the Spellbinders but have looked on the Big Shot unless you want the longer plates they are not that bad.



Noise- I have heard the noises from both machines, which has to do with the type of die you are using. Not all wafer thin dies are created equal. Which is why the noise comes from the pressure from the rollers on the cutting plates to do the cutting. One of the gals I watched described it as a car driving straight over a big bump in the road, like a speed bump, hitting it straight on puts more pushed on the car but it you hit is on an angle, moving one tire at a time over the bump, it is less force on the impact of the car. So turning the die on a slight angle will put less pressure all at once on the rollers, making less pressure on the cutting plates.



Size for storage: Spellbinders has a smaller foot print once folded up for storage. So if you prefer that to be part of your decision because you are limited on space, the spellbinders does close up in a more compact foot print.



A couple of video's said, "Spellbinders works best with its own dies", and that other manufactures dies can warp the cutting plates is not carefully placed on the cutting plate as some are a little thicker than other die are. In my opinion, means the person is forcing the plate through which I am sure you should not do on either machine. Both machines will cut almost all dies, just need to make sure that the plates are moving through the machine easily, don't force them. And of course you have put the sandwich together for the type of die you are cutting. Until watching these I had no idea there was more than one type of die other than the wafer thin dies.



After watching these gals using both machines, I think the Big Shot has a more stable foot print which would make since to me that is why at times the machine base can move around when turning the handle to move the sandwich plate through the machine. The Spellbinder is more compact for easier storage, but could be the reason it can be harder to stabilize. With all that said, I think for card making using mainly small dies, this should not be a problem so I am still not sure which is the better machine to purchase. I have a Cricut Explore Air 2, but it just doesn't cut shape like a die cutting machine does.



So this is what I found, please comment or email me your thoughts on these two wonderful die cutting machines.



Happy Crafting,

Snowsmoon's Creations
email: snowsmoonscreations@gmail.com

Dawn

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIBE AT THE TOP LEFT OF MY BLOG. 

No comments: